The Valley of Deep Holes - Explore One of the Best Cave Systems in Colombia!
Ever fancied trying the extreme sport of caving? Do you already have caving experience, and want to explore the underground systems of a different country? Then come and join us on a thrilling and challenging four day caving tour, which includes a tour through some of Colombia’s most stunning scenery, to one of the best cave systems in the country! Observation is a must – this system is still not fully explored, so you may be the lucky person to stumble upon a whole new sinkhole or connection!
Valley of Deep Holes 4Days/3Nights
Please contact us for further information.
Cave, Crawl and Abseil Through One of the Best Caving Systems of Colombia!
- Local transport.
- Professional guide.
- Entrance fees.
- Basic caving kit and ropes.
La Mesa – San Vicente de Chucuri – Valley of Deep Holes – San Vicente de Chucuri – La Mesa
This tour’s toughness level is categorized as difficult, and, due to the nature of the cave system, is only suitable for cavers with some previous experience (at least intermediate level).
Day by Day
Our departure from La Piedra de La Monja for La Mesa town will be at 4am. From La Mesa we travel to San Vicente de Chucuri, passing through the sugarcane farms of Santander, the Chicamocha Canyon, and the Serrania de Los Guaraníes on the way. Be aware that the roads we drive through are rural roads in mountainous areas which are difficult to traverse, so you may be asked to assist by helping to push the vehicle. Our arrival at the Valley of Deep Holes will be during the early evening, depending on traffic and weather. Our accommodation for that night will be in a rural family home.
After an early start and a 6am breakfast, we begin our caving adventure at 8am, which will take us through the entire day. For those of an intermediate level, there are holes of 30m to 70m down which you can abseil; for advanced cavers, there are vertical caves of 100m. We will break at 1pm for lunch, and finish around 5pm. At 6pm we travel to another area of the Valley of Deep Holes, where we will have dinner upon arrival (around 8pm). That night we will once again stay in a rural family home, 1500m up, in an isolated but beautiful area. There will be no pubs nor bars; however, we are sure that the surroundings and the company will keep you sufficiently entertained.
Our morning follows the same routine as the previous day, with a 6am breakfast and an 8am start. Today we will only be doing basic caving; however, adrenaline junkies should never fear. This cave system is highly dangerous with a low oxygen and high methane atmosphere, due to a large concentration of guano from the many different families of bats that live there. It also has tight passages which require a lot crawling. But don’t let this put you off – as well as relishing the challenge, you will rewarded at the end by the sight of an ancient jewel found by Blanca Aili Usuga and her speleo team in 2015. We will again break for lunch at 1pm and finish at 5pm; at 6pm we are back on the road to San Vicente de Chucuri, where you can enjoy that well-deserved drink.
After a 6am breakfast we depart for La Mesa at 8am. Today you will be treated to the awesome sights of the Magdalena Medio, which is traversed by several gorgeous rivers and breathtaking mountain ranges. We will also pass through the settlements of Dorada and Honda, two of the warmest towns in Colombia.
You can participate in this tour at any time – however, be aware that in Colombia the two wet seasons are from April to June and September to November.
- Transport: La Mesa-Tourist Areas-La Mesa.
- Accommodation in shared rooms in a small cottage or in a rural family home.
- Food (4 breakfasts, 4 lunches or packed lunches, 4 dinners).
- Entrance to the sites.
- Kit (helmet, headlamp, oversuit, harness) if you do not have them.
- Tour Guide.
- Transport to and from La Mesa.
- Accommodation and food/drinks in La Mesa.
- Spending money.
Things to Bring
- Cap, hat or sunscreen and buff (a light scarf which protects against dust).
- Woollen or fleece hat and gloves.
- Warm jacket.
- Rain jacket or plastic ponchos.
- Long-sleeved clothes and lightweight trekking pants.
- Comfortable waterproof trekking shoes.
- Sandals or flip flops.
- Light oversuit, if possible waterproof.
- Protective gloves.
- SRT Kit (helmet, headlamp, chest harness, sit harness, belt).
- Black thermal pants and top.
- Extra clothing to change into after the activities.
- Mosquito net.
- Insect repellent, at least 20% DEET.
- Flashlight or headlight, lantern or torch and spare AAA batteries.
- Toilet paper.
- Sleeping bag (-5⁰C).
- Binoculars (optional).
- Camera with zoom (if you want to catch some moments).
- Battery charger (American style).
- Pocket knife (optional).
- Spending money.
- Passport, valid more than 6 months, stamped with a valid tourist visa for at least the length of your stay.
- Proper A and E and medical insurance.
THIS TOUR IS FOR INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED LEVEL CAVERS ONLY.
Please be aware that it can get very cold in the Andes at night, so make sure you bring a good quality sleeping bag for extreme temperatures. You must also be prepared to live and sleep in a rural area, with few amenities and no nightlife to speak of.