Learn How Social Tourism Organizations Are Managed With Our HQ Internship!
During an internship with NGO Taxi, you will support an international team at their headquarters in Peru. The internship offers you the opportunity to work within the management of a social tourism organization, which gives you insight into how such initiatives are funded, supported, and maintained in South America. And to top it all off, you get to live and work in one of the most beautiful and vibrant cities in Peru!
€ 849,00 – 1st month
€ 799,00 – 2nd month
€ 749,00 – 3rd month, and after
WORK WITH US AND GAIN FUTURE CAREER SKILLS!
- Accommodation incl. breakfast.
- Pickup from airport.
- Pre-arrival welcome pack.
- FREE 20 hour intensive Spanish course.
- 24 hour support.
This internship is focussed upon the administrative infrastructure of NGO Taxi. As a social tourism organization, we need to create and maintain a strong and extensive managerial structure in order to be able to offer our volunteers the well-researched, well-organized, and safe projects that they deserve. We also need to be able to sustain these high standards of care and organization throughout each volunteer’s project period. In fact, our organization would find it difficult to offer such a good service without a dedicated team of administrators and coordinators, which YOU can become a part of.
And what will you gain? As an intern for NGO Taxi you’ll gain insights into the work of social and cultural grassroot projects in South America. You will learn about project management; the process of finding, screening, and placing volunteers; marketing; and international cooperation amongst similar organizations. You will acquire new administration skills and an understanding of marketing strategies, against the background of learning about some of the typical problems existing in developing countries and how groups such as ours can help. Through this, we hope to be able to give you the skills and knowledge you need to pursue your career in the social tourism industry – helping ours in the process of course!
You will be working in the area of marketing and administration, which consists of a variety of tasks and always depends on current necessities.
Your tasks will be among the following:
- Creation of marketing materials.
- Contribution to marketing planning.
- Maintenance and development of NGO Taxi social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter).
- Maintenance of our administrative infrastructure (file organization, etc.).
- Translations of important documents.
- Participation in our promotional events (such as our movie night every Tuesday).
- Participation in team meetings, where you will be given your tasks and, during the course of our discussions, learn more about how NGOs are run administratively.
- Running errands for Headquarters (sharing the responsibilities of cleaning, shopping, etc.).
- Occasionally and depending upon your Spanish level, helping our Volunteer Coordinator in meetings with tour agencies, host families, and project hosts.
- Other upcoming administrative tasks.
The exact tasks you will be asked to carry out will depend on the current needs and priorities of the company as determined by NGO Taxi management. The tasks stated here are therefore examples of some of the possible types of activities you will be asked to do.
You are required to work thirty hours a week, but you can certainly work more if desired. Work hours are flexible – you can work your daily six hours in one go or split it throughout the day, and you can work during the morning, afternoon or evening according to your preference.
Any time. It is preferred that you stay at least a month, although two or three months are of more use to both you and us, as it gives us time to properly train you in our administrative infrastructure.
You will be based at the NGO Taxi headquarters, located in one of the main cities of Peru. All amenities you will need (supermarkets, pharmacies, shops, ATMs, public transport, laundries, and restaurants) are within walking distance.
There are plenty of buses and taxis in the city, and the HQ is located close to a main bus stop. Buses charge a flat fare of S/0.80 per journey, and you can get to most of the main attractions in the city for S/4-5 in a taxi.
Accommodation and Food
For this opportunity, the standard volunteer accommodation is in a hostel (incl. breakfast). Alternatively, you can stay either in a local family homestay (2 meals per day) or in the NGO Taxi Headquarters together with other volunteers where you can make your own breakfast and have dinner together with your fellow volunteers. Your lunch will be provided in a local restaurant. Accommodation at the HQ includes full board (breakfast/lunch/dinner). We aim to provide you with a pleasant atmosphere, and common area so that you can meet other volunteers, socialize with them and plan your weekend activities.
Things to Bring
IT IS ESSENTIAL that you bring a laptop or macbook with you on which to do your work. You may also want to consider bringing a notebook and stationery to help you develop ideas or keep track of your tasks.
You will also be asked to download a number of computer programs with which we work, but you will receive more information about this in your Pre-Arrival Pack.
It is essential that you are able to work independently, show a great deal of commitment, and display initiative. If you deal with any public authorities on behalf of the company, please maintain professionalism and patience. Previous knowledge in the area of social tourism or administrative work is not necessary but, of course, beneficial for the organization.
English skills are absolutely necessary! All of your work will be carried out in English; however, we do of course encourage you to go out and explore the city and surroundings too in order to get the real experience of living in another country. Spanish is clearly essential for this. If you have basic, little or no Spanish knowledge, additional lessons to the week of language school included can be purchased prior to the project in our affiliated schools. You can also start an online course arranged by the NGO Taxi Team prior to leaving your home country.
Additional Information and Specials
- Three meals a day (food is provided but you must prepare your own meals).
- Pickup from the airport.
- Pre-arrival information pack.
- Welcome Dinner.
- FREE NGO Taxi t-shirt.
- FREE 20 hour intensive Spanish course.
- 24 hour support.
- Daily transport (e.g. to Spanish classes).
- After-work activities and food/drinks outside of the accommodation.
- International flight.
Since you’ll be living in a developing country, it is absolutely necessary that you have current immunizations. This includes, among others: yellow fever (certified), tetanus, typhoid, diphtheria, hepatitis A and B, and rabies. You’ll receive exact information pertaining to immunizations needed in Peru, as well as your personal preliminary documentation, following your successful application with us.
You can inquire in advance concerning immunization requirements by consulting medical authorities in your country of origin, e.g. in the US, check with the Centers for Disease Control and Protection: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/peru.
Please make sure that you have up-to-date vaccinations for all of these diseases. NGO Taxi cannot be held responsible for the provision of vaccinations for their volunteers. It is the responsibility of the volunteer to ensure that they have followed up-to-date medical advice.
Free Time Activities
- Visit the churches and museums of the capital, Lima, or walk the beautiful cobbled streets of the second city, Cusco.
- Check out the nightlife of Lima, Cusco, and Arequipa.
- Have a go at some (free) salsa lessons.
- Take a Peruvian cooking class.
- Take the edge-of-your-seat flight over the astounding Nazca lines.
- Wonder at the fantastically preserved pre-Inca ruin of Huaca de la Luna, Trujillo.
- Visit stunning Lake Titicaca, and learn about the indigenous way of life there.
- Come with us on one of our fantastic Salkantay or Inca Jungle treks!
- If hiking isn’t your thing, take the gentler option and visit Macchu Picchu for the day – or stay overnight in nearby Aguas Calientes and take a dip in its thermal springs!
- Take a bus to the the amazing desert oasis of Huacachina, Ica, where sandboarding and dune buggying await, and add in a trip to the nearby Islas Ballestas to watch the blue-footed boobies, penguins, and sealions.
- Get your breath taken away by the glorious views in Colca Canyon, where condors abound.
- Hike in the glorious Cordillera Blanca, Huaraz.
- Visit the Manu Biosphere Reserve and take an Amazon survival course!